Taiwan Provincial Expressway Bureau was formed on August 1, 1946 by restructuring the Motor Vehicle Office of Railway Administration Commission, Department of Transportation, The Office of Chief Administrative Officer. It took over the highway and transportation affairs, and was entrusted with the highway administration work by the Directorate General of Highways, MOTC
Established the Kaohsiung Office of Motor Vehicles
With the establishment of the Taiwan Provincial Government in May 1947, it was renamed the Taiwan Provincial Expressway Bureau, subordinate to the Department of Transportation. In 1949, the government set up the Maintenance and Engineering Department to oversee highway construction works of the whole Province. Since then, Expressway Bureau's duties have encompassed three major sectors, which are engineering, transportation and vehicle services.
In 1952, the Bureau separated the vehicle services and the transportation administrations, and established the Kaohsiung Office of Motor Vehicles at the same time. The Office was renamed the Fifth Motor Vehicle Office, Expressway Bureau in 1966, instituting Inspection Section, Testing Section, Auditing Section and General Affairs Section, and four motor vehicle stations were set up at Pingtung, Taitung, Penghu and Cishan.
The Office was renamed the Kaohsiung Office of Motor Vehicles, Expressway Bureau in 1970, and the Pingtung Station and Hengchun Substation were founded in September 1981.
Restructured into several sections
In 1983, Kaohsiung Office of Motor Vehicles was restructured into the First Section, Second Section, Third Section and Fourth Section, and a Data Processing Office was added in 1985 responding to the technological advancement. The Data Processing Office became Information Management Section in May 1997. The Fifth Section was established in June the same year, while the Sixth Section was added in January of 1999.
Became subordinate to the Ministry of Transportation
On July 1, 1999, the Office became subordinate to the Ministry of Transportation and Communications pursuant to the Provisional Organizational Charter of All Motor Vehicle Offices, Directorate General of Highways; as stipulated in Article 11 of the Provisional Organizational Charter of the Directorate General of Highways, MOTC; which was in turn stipulated in Paragraph 2, Article 5 of Provisional Statute for the Reorganization of Taiwan Provincial Government.To institutionalize the organizational structure of the Office, General Provisions for the Organization of All Motor Vehicle Offices, Directorate General of Highways, MOTC were set down, which passed the third reading in the Legislative Yuan, and were promulgated on January 21, 2002 by the President, then put into effect on January 30, 2002 under permission of the Executive Yuan per Letter Tai-Wen-Tzu No. 0910004320-A dated January 29, 2002.
Renamed the Office
Meanwhile, the Office was renamed the Kaohsiung Office of Motor Vehicles, Directorate General of Highways, MOTC.The internal sections were also renamed the Vehicle Management Section, Driver's Licenses Section, Transportation Management Section, Planning and Vehicle Penalty Section,Motor Vehicle Information Section, Personnel Office, Civil Service Ethics Office, Accounting and Statistics Office and Secretariat.